OneDrive has got a hidden feature which is Remote file access. With the fetch featureyou can easily grab any file on your PC even if that file is not stored in OneDrive folder. 1St of all you need to turn this feature ON. Fetch feature is very useful if you have forgotten to save your file to your OneDrive folder or of you have got important files which are stored elsewhere on your computer or on external or mapped drive. You can also learn about Disabling Cortana in Windows 10.
Setting Up Fetch in OneDrive:
- 1st of all you need to right click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and the select Settings.
- Now check the box next to “Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC”, this option is unchecked by default.
- In the next step you need to click OK.
- Now you need to right click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and the click Exit.
- Now for completing the process you need to restart OneDrive.
- Now you are required to launch OneDrive and for that you need to search for it in the start menu and then click OneDrive in order to open the OneDrive folder and then start the service.
Fetching Files with OneDrive:
For fetching the files with OneDrive you need to follow these simple steps.
- 1st of all log in to https://onedrive.live.com/ from your PC which needs to access the remote file.
- Now click on the settings menu icon located at the top left on PCs.
- Now click on the PCs in order to open a list of available computers and then select the computer youn need to access.
- Folow the steps for signing in with a security code if this is the 1st time connecting to that computer from thisPC. You will get a security code by text message or email for verifying your identity.
- Now browse through and access all the files on the connected PC including those which are not in your OneDrive.